Unified access to and reporting of Swedish scientific publications
At the moment it is not possible, but soon you will be able to access the total Swedish research publishing output at a single place. A planned new service aims to improve the accessibility and visibility of research publications created by Swedish researchers, including a growing share of Open Access web publications.
It will also provide a secure infrastructure for the reporting of research output. The National Library of Sweden has granted 1.5 million SEK via the development programme OpenAccess.se to a project led by the university libraries of Uppsala, Lund and Gothenburg in cooperation with the Department for LIBRIS at the National Library.
The project will develop a service that:
- Harvests metadata for all Swedish scientific publications from the publication databases of all Higher Education institutions
- Makes the metadata accessible for searching by end users and for harvesting to other services
- Facilitates the use of the metadata for the reporting and analysis of the Swedish scientific publishing output
The strategic aim is to:
- Improve the visibility of Swedish scientific publications
- Improve the accessibility of Swedish scientific publications
- Increase the share of Swedish scientific publications that is Open Access
- Provide a unified and comparable basis for reporting of Swedish scientific publishing output
- Provide incentives for institutional publication databases to increase their coverage and adhere to common standards
The focus of the project will be to:
- Analyze the current national metadata format recommendations and develop a specification of requirements for the search service
- Communicate with all institutions of Higher Education about participation in the service
- Create promotional material and market the service
- Develop tools to use metadata from the search service as a basis for the reporting and analysis of Swedish scientific publishing output
Based on the specification of requirements within the project, the LIBRIS department within the National Library of Sweden will develop technical solutions for harvesting data and creating the actual search service that will be available within the LIBRIS national library system, both as a specific search service and as a part of LIBRIS WebSearch.
The project is led by Uppsala University Library in cooperation with Gothenburg University Library, Lund University Libraries and the LIBRIS Department of the National Library of Sweden.
Grant: 1 500 000 SEK for 2007 - 2009.
For information contact either Jan Hagerlid, Coordinator of the programme OpenAccess.se at the National Library of Sweden: (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stefan Andersson, the Project Leader at Uppsala University Library, (email@example.com).